Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Working New Techniques into Your Designs

When I am deciding how the design of my piece should be laid out, I look at a variety of medias, looking for patterns and textures that would make the piece interesting.  Over the years I have collected a lot of jewelry design books and technique books.  One of the books I have shows several different wire wrapping techniques and projects.  On several occasions I have bought all different kinds of wire and tried to teach myself how to master these techniques.   When I started out, I thought it would be easy, boy was I wrong, wire is tricky.  It does not always cooperate, twists and breaks at the most in-opportune times, and then operator error steps in and the wire I've cut is too short.  Lately I have had some success with it and am now designing my own chain for some of my pieces.  The chain is in short lengths, but nonetheless it's still handmade.

I have been working on several necklaces.  I have made the connectors using beautiful beads and then made the links, jump rings and clasps also from wire.

Are there any techniques you have been working on?  Any new ones you want to learn?





Have a great afternoon and keep warm.

Sincerely,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment