Monday, March 18, 2013

Vintaj Competition Plum Orchard - finding inspiration

Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying to sketch out a design for a competition piece, for the Vintaj monthly challenge, with the focus inspiration being "Plum Orchard" - Initially, I thought of a variety of plum and purple colors.  I considered, "what things or words remind me of plums and orchards" - This one is a tough one for me......  I found a book named "Plum Orchard" - but that is about the south and slavery.  I then found a painting by one of my favorite artists - Vincent van Gogh called "Flowering Plum Orchard"  It is a painting inspired by Japanese artist Hiroshige.  Van Gogh's painting is new for me as I did not know he painted in this style and nothing I have studied about him indicated that he painted in this style.  Below is the picture he painted.  I decided to use this as inspiration for my design.  I love the use of color in this piece and the branch lines that seem to frame the plum flowers, and then the Japanese writing that frames the picture again. 

Vincent van Gogh - Flowering Plum Orchard: After Hiroshige, 1887-10 till 1887-11 - Art Prints and Posters
Vincent van Gogh's Plum Orchard

No comments:

Post a Comment