Saturday, June 22, 2013

Repurposed Found Objects Get a New Look

A few days ago, my daughter was out antiquing and found a jar of old leather odds and ends and gifted it to me.  In exploring the contents of the jar, it seemed to be filled with old leather belt pieces or purse strap pieces..... I am not really certain.  Some looked rather well-worn, while others looked relatively new.  From some of the pieces, I have made three new pieces of jewelry - a pair of earrings and two bracelets.


The pair of earrings I made start with two matching pieces of leather, some leather cord scraps I had, Tierra Cast rivets and metal heishi, and some really cool frosted AB blue beads.


Before
after













 
The first bracelet I made also starts with two leather pieces from the jar, deertan lace from my supplies, Tierra Cast rivets, a rhinestone clasp and a rhinestone studded rhondelle.

Before
After












The second bracelet is a double wrap bracelet made of a wide leather strap of woven leather pieces - from the jar, wire-wrapping, and Impression Jasper.
 
Before

After
Making jewelry from found objects or odds-n-ends is always a challenge I look forward to.  I love to create one-of-a-kind pieces.  In creating the double-wrap bracelet I was inspired by the hook clasp and toggle that I made - well, if one can be inspired by their own work...lol... But, I was thinking that perhaps the "ring" part of the toggle might look cool as a whole necklace or bracelet of them.  We will see where that leads...

2 comments:

  1. FUN find! I love the pieces you're making from these - the first bracelet is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherri - thank you. I am looking forward to seeing what else I can design. I am working on a pendant with one of the gray pieces. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete