Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ring-Ring....Ring-Ring....Ring-Ring......

Rhinestones and filigree, I love the combination and it never seems to get old.  But, I also love vintage jewelry and old movies.  There is something elegant about the rhinestone jewelry of the 40s and 50s.  Besides, vintage jewelry makes me think of Casablanca, which is one of my all time favorite flicks...  I wish the version I have was in color.  I would love to take a closer look at the rhinestone jewelry Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) was wearing on her suit while she was sitting in "Rick's Place".  I cannot tell if the set is Joseph, Hobe', Julianna or maybe something else.. Eisenberg??....  I had a set similar, made by Hobe', but it is so hard to tell in the movie without a little color and detail.  All you get is the suggestion of a design and a lot of glamorous rhinestone "flash" from the brooch, earrings, and bracelet.   I can only daydream about what it would have been like to be a jewelry designer of that era. 

Hmm........

I have used some of my vintage rhinestones in my latest designs.   Two of the rhinestones are vintage special effects West Germany, by Alfred Weber, and the third is Summer Blush, by Swarovski.  The ovals are 18x13mm and the round is 14mm.


In the first ring I used a vintage special effects floral cabochon, by Alfred Weber, set in an oxidized brass adjustable ring base.  I then formed hammered aluminum around the crown of the setting.  The combination of the brass and silver give the ring an Art Deco look. 


The second ring also uses a vintage special effects rhinestone, by Alfred Weber, set in oxidized brass filigree and then wire wrapped to a filigree adjustable ring base.  There is a silver shadow around the rhinestone edge and the crown of the setting, also incorporating the two metal tones. 


The third ring is a gorgeous Summer Blush rhinestone, by Swarovski, set in a silvertone setting and wire wrapped to a filigree adjustable ring base.  The ring base has been brushed with a silver colored metal coating and lightly sanded.  The rhinestone has been nested in a wire wrapping which has also been brushed with a silver metal coating and lightly sanded.  The light sanding allows the oxidized brass to show through, giving it an Art Deco look and a slight "shabby chic-worn" look. 

I hope you are inspired to make some bling for the summer and maybe watch an old movie...or two.

I have also been working on some new ceramic pieces.  I broke away from the Yixing single-fire clay and have been working with white-stoneware.  I have also been experimenting with some Baroque style designs and trying to see if a matte or a gloss glaze will show the details best.  I will let you know what I have decided and show a few pictures in the days to come. 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment