Thursday, February 14, 2013

A New Batch of Greenware - I Can't Wait to Fire Up the Kiln






I have been busy creating more greenware.  The pieces look like they are a grayish in color, but they are actually a gray/blue and will fire to a metalic, almost teal, blue color.  If you look at the top there are four bracelet links and to the right there is a bracelet focal - My intent is for the links and the bracelet focal to be used in separate bracelets, but once they are fired and painted - who knows.  Next, there are 5 pairs of earrings, 6 leaf charms and 3 pendants.  I am not certain about the continuous line-form pendant, but I will take another look at it once it is fired.  The pieces still need some fine-tuning/cleaning, but for the most part they are ready to be fired.  They will go in the same firing as the circle pendants I showed you on the 7th.  I am hoping to create another tray of pieces, maybe two and then plan for a kiln firing about two weeks from today.  It takes about 7 hours to fire from start to finish and then about another 7 to completely cool down so I can handle the pieces. 

Once I unload the kiln and get my workbench set up, it usually takes me a day or two to decide on which piece to use, what needs to be sanded etc., which color the piece wants to be colored, sand again, paint another layer, ........ and then glaze and seal it. 

I am pretty excited about the earrings.  I made them lightweight and tried to keep them under 1".

No comments:

Post a Comment