Thursday, July 4, 2013

How to Make a Found Object Leather Bangle

Happy 4th of July! 
It is hard to think of scarfs on such a beautiful summer's day like today but, today I found an object that I thought would make a great piece of jewelry.  I found a box of scarf rings; the rings that scarfs sometimes are hung on when they are shipped to a retail store.  They are the perfect size for a bangle.  Below are some simple step-by-step instructions on how to macrame' leather cord onto a plastic scarf ring to make a leather bangle.




In this picture I have two of the plastic rings, but you will only need one.  I also have 12 feet of 2mm leather cord.  The cord I chose has an off-white color with a shiny flash of pearl.  The leather has a bit of cracking to the surface, but I kind of like the effect. 





Fold the cord in half creating two equal lengths.  Tie the first macrame' knot.  Normally, when you macrame' you need four lengths of cord, two in the center and two on the outside to tie the knots.  In this design the plastic ring will serve as the two center cords.






Continue until you have completed the knots around the ring.






Bring the last piece of cord around the back and tie both ends in a knot. 

There are so many different variations you could create with this piece.  You could add beads to the cord ends if you would like.  I think you could also weave beads in the knot loops.  Tierra Cast has some smaller large hole metal beads that I think could add interest to the bangle. 

I hope this has inspired you to create something beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment